Monday, April 28, 2008

Busy Week!

What a great week! My mom, Aunt Connie, and Kirk flew back to Houston today. We had a very fun and busy week. I don't think we could have packed in more if we had tried.

Wednesday, I picked them up in Poughkeepsie, about 100 miles south of us. There we visited to Vanderbilt Mansion. It was really cool. We were not allowed to take photo's inside but they have lots avalible online to veiw. It is hard to believe that someone lived with so much wealth and formality. The highlight of the trip for me was seeing an origional painting by one of my favorate artist William Bouguereau. Also, the view of the Hudson river was amazing.

Thursday we spent the day at the state capitol and the state museum. The capitol has an amazing Italian sand stone staircase in the center. The stair case is called the million dollar staircase because it cost over a million dollars in the late 1800's when it was built. It has the faces of 75 famous Americans, 2000 + unknown faces, and many other carvings, no pattern is repeated. We spent about a half hour looking at all the carving.

Friday we drove to Cooperstown!! The boys were in hog heaven. Kirk said that this was his pilgrimage. I could go on for hours just listing the highlights. One of the neatest things for me was the contract that Babe Ruth signed with the Red Sox, his last home run ball, bat, and glove, Nolan Ryan's hats worn during his 6 no hitters. It was cool to see all the plaques of the great players that I remember my grandpa and dad talking about. And of course as an Astros Fan, I loved Bagwell's retired jersey, Biggio's hat and elbow guard and his name on the 3000+ hitters board!! I would love to go back in 5 years when Biggio goes into the hall. The drive to Cooperstown was beautiful.

Saturday, we drove 5 hours to Buffalo and Niagara Falls. The boys started the day with a trip to the Buffalo Navial Yard where they were able to explore several ships, one of which their grandpa spent two years on, USS Sullivan's. They had a great time. The girls spent the time at an art museum across town.
After a few hours we all went to Niagara Falls. It was amazing!!! Words could not describe the beauty of God's creation. We even made a trip into Canada. The falls are more impressive from the Canadian side because you get a better view, but on the American side you are able to get closer to the falls. We pulled back into the driveway after midnight.

Sunday we went to church then spent the rest of the day resting and packing. It was a great 5 days. I enjoyed all the time visiting and the kids had a blast. I can't wait to come home and visit with everyone!!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is nice here in houston too. Love ya.