Sunday, February 3, 2008

Unable to keep my mouth shut!

We had a great day at church today. First, I have to say that I love Our Savior Lutheran Church. It is small enough that the pastor often has conversations with the congergation from the pulpit. We were introduced to the church today during service. It has a contemerary service that was amazingly Spirit led, and the preaching was also great.

Anyway during sunday school, we have been studying the constitution and the first amendment. Many believe that the first amendment is the seperation of Church and state although those words are never used. The amendment states:

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances

The founding fathers were opposed to government established Religion. The first four drafts actually replace the word Religon with Demonination. Our founders did not want to be told by the government that they had to be Catholic, Lutheran or any other religion for that matter. They did not intend to remove God from government. "Wallbuilders" publications has several great videos on our constituion's history and the American Founding Fathers. I have added a link to the Wall Builders website. Well, we watch the video and loved it! Then it was time for discussion. The question was how should our faith effect our politics. Those of you that know me well know that I LOVE politics! I bit my tounge. After hearing several men state that we needed to elect people that appeared to live a Godly / moral life I could be quiet no longer. I said, "I feel that this was a dangerous suggestion. In the election before us we have a canidate that is a very moral man and appears to be Godly, but yet is NOT a Christian. We can not as Christians elect men to lead our counrty that do not seek God and then expect God to bless our nation. We also have a duty to vote. We are call to be in the World but not of it! If we remove ourself from the political practice by not voting as our faith leads us we will reap the consequences. America did not get in the state of Moral decay it is in by itself. We are primarily a Christian nation. Around 80% of our citizens claim to be Christian. If we are a true democracy, and Christians voted according to their faith and Christian men and women served as elected officals the policies of our country would reflect that. After all the majority is suppose to rule. We have let oursevles down and have a long haul to regain ground but we are not going to do so if we vote for those who appear to be moral! Apperances can be decieving. We should all vote and we should do so responsibly!"

Ok, off my soap box. What a way to introduce myself. After class I had 5 women waiting for me to introduce themselves and thank me for my contributions. I know the teacher was thinking "Oh, great! How long are you here?" I also commented a few other times. I was afraid that Scooter was going to tell me to be quiet. But, Scooter just set there quietly with a grin. He said that I did good.

So, not sure I should have done that but I felt I needed to. This bible study is great. I will be getting all the info for it and hope to persuade Salem to offer it in the Fall.

Scooter and the kids went to the church's Super Bowl Party tonight and had a great time. I had to miss this one to work but hope that changes soon. The church has many activites on the calander for fellowship that we are looking forward to. Also I met another home-school mom after church today!

We miss you all!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your Daddy would be very proud and I am too!!! You are absolutely right though. Maybe you should be running for President instead of Hillary! I love y'all and I miss you very much!